Us San Diegans love a day trip to Julian. However because it's something we most of us do only once or twice per year it's hard to feel like we REALLY know what to do when we get there! So here are 8 "ALL IN San Diego" tips for your next excursion:
1. Before You Leave - It's always a good idea to check the weather in advance to get an idea what you'll be dealing with. Julian is a microclimate where temperatures range from the low 20s in the winter to over 100 degrees in the summer.
2. Remember the Time Difference- Julian is on Mountain Time which is something to keep in mind when planning your trip. It may affect business opening and closing times so keep it in mind!
4. Grab an Adult Beverage - Julian Beer Company has amazing house brewed beers and hard cider. Julian Hard Cider Co. specializes in Cider and you can see a full list of wineries at JulianWineries.com.
5. Pick Some Apples (And Pears!) - Yes, this is the most well known activity but a LOT of people wrongly show up in October and November! The time to go is from mid August to the end of September and sometimes early October! Some of the most popular spots are Julian Mining Company , Julian Farm and Orchard , and Apples and Art Orchard.
6. Take a Hike - One of the best ways to enjoy the beauty of the area is by going on a hike and with over 18 hikes to choose from, there is definitely something for every ability level!
7. Go Mining....For Candy! - Visit Miner's Diner and look for the "secret mine shaft." It will lead you to a Candy Mine full of old school and new school favorites!
8. Eat Some Pie! - There are so many choices when it comes to pie the big question is where should you go. The best advice we got from Eva, our Julian expert was......go wherever the line is shortest because the pies are all GREAT!
For more fall/ winter family adventures you can listen to our Snow Trip Episode